Lasek or laser epithelial keratomileusis combines benefits of Lasik & PRK. It is used to treat astigmatism , near-sightedness or farsightedness . Various techniques are used to retain the very thin
corneal surface layer of cells (epithelium) that is used to recover the cornea after laser sculpting is
performed. During surgery, epithelium is treated with mild medical alcohol to detach it from
underlying tissue , then it is lifted back .The newly exposed tissue is treated with laser , following
which the epithelium is placed back over the cornea .
LASEK uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea , like other type of laser refractive surgery , allowing light entering the eye to be properly focused onto the retina for vision correction.
LASEK and PRK outcomes are similar to LASIK results. Most people achieve 20/20 vision after laser eye surgery, and nearly all achieve 20/40 visual acuity or better. Depending on your degree of refractive error, you may still need to wear eyeglasses or contact lenses, but the prescription will be significantly lower.
BENEFITS OF LASEK :
- Complication associated with creating & reattaching the flap in cornea are avoided.
- It gives less dry eyes than Lasik.
DISADVANTAGES OF LASEK:
- Visual recovery time is longer.
- Many Lasek patients will not fully recover functional vision for at lest
2-4 weeks .
- It causes more pain & discomfort compared to Lasik .
Bandage contact lens is required for 3-5 days after surgery as a protective layer between blinking
eyelids & treated eye surface .
- Topical steroid drops are required for a longer duration.