LASIK RISK AND COMPLICATIONS
LASIK procedure is helpful in living a life independent of glasses and contact lenses.
Most of the risk can be avoided by proper selection of individual for Lasik.
It’s extremely rare to get complication with significant visual loss after Lasik. The advancement in technology has reduced rate of complications drastically. This includes Bladeless ReLex SMILE, Femto Laser (Bladeless Lasik) technology and new age Microkeratomes (Blade Lasik).
Risk and complications of Lasik can be treated successfully by medical treatment or minor touch up procedures in most of the cases.
Treatment of Lasik Risks and Lasik complications
- Dry Eyes after Lasik: drink enough water (weight X 40= water in ml e.g. 60 kg X 40 = 2400 ml / 2.4 lit). Use lubricating eye drops or immune modulator eye drops like Cyclosporin
- Haze or blurry vision: may remain for few days in some individuals and goes with natural healing, lubricating eye drops and Omega 3 Fatty Acid rich food or Tablets
- Enhancement: for remaining number (under correction or over correction)
- Lasik Flap folds or wrinkles: repositioning flap with mild Lasik Flap Ironing and contact lens for 1-2 days
- Lasik Flap displacement: repositioning of flap with contact lens for 1-2 days
- Epithelial Ingrowth: cleaning surface with medicated solution
- Infection: Use of 4th generation antibiotics for infection control
- Diffuse Lamellar Keratitis (DLK) or “Sands of Sahara”: use of anti-inflammatory medications and in advanced cases cleaning flap
- Keratectasia or Keratoconus: Avoid eye rubbing, scleral contact lens, C3R & Intacs
- Decentred Ablation: not seen these days due to use of active eye tracking and Iris registration by New generation Lasers used all over world. It was occurring in few cases when passive eye tracking method was used.
By understanding few simple yet significant points you will be able to decide whether the Lasik surgery is ideal for you
- Just like every figure print is unique similarly every human eye is unique. Fact is even an individual’s 2 eyes are dissimilar. Your right eye and Left eye is also not exactly the same.
- Before undergoing any of the eye surgery or Lasik Treatment it is must and utmost important that people understand how their eyes work and what is best for their eyes.
- Lasik, the number corrective surgery is done only after detailed and thorough checking of your eyes. Pre-Lasik testing includes following:-
- Age above 18 years and if cylindrical number more than 3 above 21 years
- Eye power
- Eye pressure (intra ocular pressure IOP)
- Corneal aberrations (abnormalities )
- Corneal curvature (shape of cornea , topography, pentacam)
- Thickness of cornea or Pachymetry
- Retina examination
Once all these tests results are favourable and positive one can go to next level i.e. surgery.
- An experienced lasik surgeon will guide you only on the basis of the testing which are done prior. Because it is very important for your eyes to undergo personalized treatment which has best results and no side effect after the procedure.
LIMITATIONS OF LASIK PROCEDURE:-
- Very thin cornea (Implantable contact lens Can be a option)
- If you are pregnant or lactating female.
- Severely dry eyes.
- Certain problems / degeneration in retina or other parts of the eye.
- Very unstable spectacle power.
LASIK procedure is widely used procedure across the globe to provide correction of number and it is acceptable by the WHO and other governments like USA FDA.
It is successful hence it is so popular among all the age groups.
Taking expert’s guidance and choosing the best doctor will make your DREAM to see without specs even more exciting and memorable.