Benefits and Advantages of LASIK Eye Surgery
Hazy or blurred vision, trouble seeing movement, or recurrent pain in the eye can get troublesome. The chances of vision problems affecting you may seem slim at the moment but, being aware of what to do on the off chance that you find yourself in such a position is beneficial. Laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis or LASIK eye surgery, a commonly performed laser refractive surgery, helps correct vision problems to a great extent. It is also considered an adequate alternative to glasses and contact lenses.
In case of perfect vision, the cornea bends or refracts light precisely onto the retina. But, in the case of myopia or hyperopia, the light gets angled incorrectly, resulting in blurred vision. While glasses or contact lenses offer a short-term solution, LASIK eye surgery can help provide the necessary refraction to get rid of vision problems on a long-term basis.
Let’s take a further look at the procedure and its benefits and advantages.
What is Lasik Eye Surgery?
As you may have gathered earlier, LASIK eye surgery helps in the correction of vision problems. These vision problems may include nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia), or astigmatism. Either way, if one chooses to opt for LASIK surgery, the chances to avoid glasses, contact lenses are high. Therefore, a refractive procedure on the eye(s) can help a great deal and even get rid of the glasses altogether. But, before you opt for this procedure, remember to check with the doctor about the risks involved for you. Every individual’s eyesight differs; hence it is of paramount importance that you have the pros and cons of getting eye surgery in place to make an easier decision.
You should know certain health conditions could increase the risks associated with LASIK eye surgery, and in such cases, this refractive procedure isn’t for you. So, check with your doctor about every last detail regarding the surgery procedure.
How does The Procedure Work?
Usually, it takes around few minutes or less for the completion of the procedure. You get placed in a reclining chair, and the doctor gives numbing drops for the eye. An instrument helps hold your eyelids open, and a suction ring gets placed on your eyelid before making the corneal flap. This procedure generally causes a feeling of pressure on the eye, and your vision may become slightly dim.
The next step of the procedure involves the use of a small blade or cutting laser that cuts a small hinged flap away from the front of your eye. This step allows the doctor to access the part of your cornea that needs to get reshaped. Then, the programmed laser helps reshape those parts of your cornea. However, with each pulse of the laser beam, a small amount of the corneal tissue gets removed. After reshaping, the corneal flap gets placed back, and it heals without stitches.
In most cases, if you need LASIK eye surgery in both your eyes, it is scheduled on the same day, so the healing process begins at the same time.
Read more: How to Choose the Best LASIK Eye Surgeon?
Benefits of LASIK Eye Surgery
LASIK eye surgery often offers improved vision without the hassle of wearing glasses or contact lenses. In general, there’s an excellent chance of achieving 20/20 vision or better after this refractive surgery. Certain studies suggest that more than 8 out of 10 people that have undergone LASIK eye surgery do not require the use of glasses or contact lenses for most of their daily activities. Of course, your results depend on your specific vision problem and other factors associated with its success. Nonetheless, people with a low grade of nearsightedness tend to have better success with refractive eye surgery.
Other benefits of LASIK eye surgery include:
- LASIK corrects vision, and around 96% of patients get their desired vision level after this surgical procedure.
- Numbing drops used during LASIK eye surgery causes very little pain.
- You will get the desired results almost immediately or by the day after LASIK eye surgery.
- After LASIK eye surgery, there’s no need for bandages or stitches.
- In the case of vision changes due to age, you can get your vision adjusted even years after your LASIK surgery.
- The dependency on glasses or contact lenses reduces considerably after LASIK eye surgery, and sometimes patients don’t need them at all.
Read more: FAQ About LASIK Eye Surgery
LASEK & RELEX Smile Surgery
Not unlike LASIK, PRK/LASEK and ReLEx SMILE surgery help correct vision problems. All these procedures can potentially reduce the need and dependency on corrective eyewear. They also provide safe surgical options with relatively quick healing times. Your eye doctor or ophthalmologist helps walk you through the different options for vision correction, establishes feasible expectations, and helps determine the type of procedure right for you. Although laser eye surgery may not be for everyone, it can offer significant positive results for many people with vision problems.
Benefits of PRK/LASEK Eye Surgery
- Another form of laser eye surgery, PRK/LASEK, involves separating the epithelial part of the cornea from the stroma.
- People with thin corneas can opt for PRK/LASEK eye surgery.
- Lesser healing time than LASIK, after PRK/LASEK surgery, you can return to contact sports without worrying about the dislodgement of the corneal flap.
- People with dry eyes or corneal scarring can opt for PRK/LASEK/ReLEx Smile eye surgery.
- Certain studies suggest that 90% of people who undergo PRK/LASEK eye surgery achieve 20/40 vision or better.
Benefits of ReLEx SMILE Surgery
- ReLEx SMILE surgery is the newest advancement in laser eye surgery and involves the use of a femtosecond laser to make a disc-shaped cut inside the stroma.
- ReLEx SMILE procedure is less invasive and requires the use of only one laser as opposed to Femto LASIK.
- The ReLEx SMILE procedure can treat higher myopic refractive errors.
- The risk of dry eyes is lower since fewer corneal nerves get severed in this procedure.
The need for laser eye surgeries arises from vision problems. The dependency on corrective eyewear can get cumbersome for some people hence the need for LASIK eye surgery. Right from correcting blurred vision to recurring pain in the eye due to refractive error, this type of laser eye surgery offers benefits that allow you to see better without causing any hassles in your day-to-day life.
If you one day choose to opt for LASIK eye surgery or other types of laser eye surgeries in Pune, the doctors at Dada Laser Eye Institute offer their expertise with the best eye care services for people from all over the country. LASIK eye surgery, ReLEx SMILE surgery, bladeless cataract surgery, Glaucoma treatment and more, are only a few of the expert eye care services offered here. So, if you suffer from vision problems or need an eye checkup to make sure you have no vision problems, book an appointment with the expert ophthalmologists at Dada Laser Eye Institute, Pune. You can give us a call at (+91) 992 299 5549 or visit our website for further information https://ladilaservision.com/.