With the internet and google at your fingertips, you have a lot of information regarding eye surgery and sometimes it becomes overwhelming and confusing to know which surgery is best suited for you. There are also a lot of blogs that give a biased opinion to favor one surgery over the other for personal gains.
In this blog, we will give you unbiased information on LASIK and LASEK eye surgery along with their advantages and disadvantages. This will give you a clear picture and will help you clarify most of your doubts.
Difference between LASEK and LASIK Eye Surgery
LASEK and LASIK eye surgery has a similar approach with some minor changes in the procedure. Both surgeries work on reshaping corneas permanently.
The major difference comes during the treatment of the corneal area. In LASIK eye surgery the corneal flap is created and replaced. In LASEK eye surgery, however, the top layer of the cornea is separated and moved back. Post-surgery the flap is reattached.
Because of this procedure, a patient who has undergone LASEK takes more time to recover with discomfort for three to five days. LASIK patients recover quickly with minimum discomfort.
Procedure Overview – LASEK Eye Surgery
LASEK Eye Surgery – LASEK or Laser-assisted subepithelial keratectomy is a type of photorefractive keratectomy or PRK. The procedure takes a different approach than LASIK. Below mentioned is the procedure
- With the help of excimer laser, surface ablations are made on cornea instead of creating a cornea flap like in LASIK
- The outer layer of the cornea is either diluted with alcohol or loosened with the help ethanol
- The outer tissue is them removed and with the help of laser the stroma is reshaped just like in LASIK
- While the top layer of the cornea is removed, it is re-positioned or replaced post ablation of the cornea
Benefits of LASEK Eye Surgery
Although LASEK Eye surgery is an older technique compared to LASIK, it definitely has some very important advantages which is why the procedure is still very popular. Below mentioned are some of the advantages.
- LASEK surgery can be conducted on people with thin corneas
- The chances of the patient getting dry eyes is significantly less compared to LASIK surgery
- There is no chance of any corneal flap complications or removal of too much cornea area
- Post-surgery the vision become 20/40 or even better
Disadvantages of LASEK Eye Surgery
There are some disadvantages to LASEK eye surgery because of which some people prefer the more advanced LASIK eye surgery. Below mentioned are some of the advantages
- The healing time post-LASEK surgery is longer compared to LASIK. Patients need at least three to five days to heal and more time to get a clear vision.
- Patient experience significantly higher discomfort and pain compared to LASIK and it can last for a few days
- There is a chance of corneal structure compromise due to LASEK surgery which creates a hazy vision.
Procedure Overview – LASIK Eye Surgery
LASIK Eye Surgery – LASIK is one of the most common surgeries undertaken by patients for their vision correction. The full form of LASIK is Laser-assisted in-situ keratomileusis. Below mentioned is the step by step procedure followed in the surgery
- A femtosecond laser is used to cut the cornea flap and move it back to access the inner stromal tissues at the core. The femtosecond laser is super precise and hence the cut is extremely accurate
- Once the flap is moved back an Excimer laser is used to change the shape of the stroma with the help of a process called photoablation
- After the photoablation procedure, the flap is then replaced and the self-healing procedure starts which takes around a day or so
Benefits of LASIK Eye Surgery
LASIK eye surgery is one of the most advanced surgery, hence it overcomes some of the shortcomings of earlier surgical procedures. Below mentioned are some of the benefits of LASIK eye surgery
- LASIK patients have a super-fast recovery and hence their vision starts clearing within a few hours of surgery. Their eyes heal completely in 24 hours
- LASIK surgery is a minimally invasive surgery, hence the area around eyes does not undergo any significant changes or alteration.
- The discomfort post LASIK surgery is very minimum and so is the pain. Hence you can resume your regular work in no time.
- There are very fewer chances of any kind of complication like a hazy vision from corneal eye integrity.
Disadvantages of LASIK Eye Surgery
Just like any other surgery, there are some disadvantages of LASIK surgery that you must be aware about. Below mentioned are the disadvantages
- The most common side effect of undergoing LASIK eye surgery is dry eyes
- There is a chance of complications occurring in the corneal flap area.
- There is a high chance of corneal flap getting dislodged from its position in case of a head trauma injury occurring prior to the completion of the healing process.
So to conclude both LASEK and LASIK eye surgery have their advantages and disadvantages and it completely depends on patient’s eye condition and the doctor to finalize which surgery would be best suited. It is strongly advised to consult a doctor before finalizing the procedure. If you are looking for expert consultation on eye surgery, call us on +91 992 299 5549. You can also fill in your information below and one of the representatives will get in touch with you.